Thursday, January 04, 2007

As Pelosi becomes the 1st female Speaker of the House, a tip of the hat to GIRL POWER & I think my Hubby is a genius


Now I'm no great fan of Nancy Pelosi, but as a woman, as a Democrat, as a proud feminist, and as the grand-daughter of Italian immigrants, I can't help but feel pride that Nancy Dallesandro Pelosi will become America's 1st female Speaker of the House. Which brings me to a topic that has been sticking in my craw for awhile now: Why are men threatened by strong women? I've asked Hubby what's the dealio, but since he is married to me (ahem... clearly NOT a milquetoast kind of girl) he may not be the best person to ask. But his response did speak volumes: "Maybe for the same reason so many guys are homo-phobes. They're just too insecure w/themselves to handle it." Excellent point, Hubby. He then added, with a devilish smile: "Not me. I think strong women are sexy. There is nothing sexier than a woman who can hold her own in a fight and the bedroom. Then when you've won, you've really won, and when you've lost, you still get to win... when you make up w/ her later." Ahhh... I see. But hey-- I've won alot of fights over the past 7 years of our marriage-- I guess that really means he has ended up "winning" plenty of those fights, too, huh? Oh well... there are certainly WORSE ways to "lose." Like for instance, I could be married to a religious fundamentalist or live in a nation that blatantly values their farm animals more than their wives/ daughters. This Christian Monitor op/ed hits upon that exact point by asking: "A real test for US allies is how they treat their women." I couldn't agree more b/c fanatical ideology (whether it be Muslim, Christian, African, etc or otherwise) cannot be ignored when we females comprise 50% of the world's population. Unless of course you happen to be living in India, where we clearly do NOT comprise 50% of the pop... which brings me to another point: While watching a repeat of one of Dateline and Chris Hansen's "predator-stings" on MSNBC Weds night, I turned to Hubby and said: "Isn't it kinda weird that so many of these guys that get caught on Dateline trying to hook up w/13 yr old girls are Hindu-Indians?" Hubby, always the caustically dry-witted one, w/o missing a beat (or a handful of that caramel popcorn he was munching on) casually tossed this social grenade out: "Well, maybe since they've happily killed 10 million babygirls over the past 20 yrs in India, these men never get to actually see teen girls in person." Oh, my.
Posted by Tina :: 1:02 AM :: 11 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------