Monday, August 07, 2006

Tag! I'm It... Now let's talk about books...

DivaJood and JuBlu both tagged me... so here I go: 1) One book that changed your life: Seriously, it was 1 of my most fav books as a kid (it actually belonged to my dad, who was given this book in a Christmas gift exchange at Catholic school in 1956) called Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion. Amazon actually has copies of it! Perhaps BabyGirl would like this, too, since the 50th anniversary printing of it happens on Oct 31, 2006. This book made me learn to read before I went to kindergarten, and helped impassion my love for reading. 2) One book you have read more than once: Hmm, there are many... but I would say The Bible. And I am referring to the Catholic versions-- The St Joseph's & The Douay-Rheims, not the King James. Nothing infuriates me more than that joke of a bumper sticker that says: If it ain't King James, it ain't Bible. Well, how many of those who slap that on their car and gleefully gay bash know that the King James translation was commissioned by a raging homosexual (King James) and how many realize that that particular translation "which boasted that it was "newly translated out of the original tongues," was actually a revision of The Bishop's Bible of 1568, which was a revision of The Great Bible of 1539, which was itself based on 3 previous English translations from the early 1500s. So, the men who produced the King James Bible not only inherited some of the errors made by previous English translators, but invented some of their own"... so I guess that bumper sticker should actually say: If it ain't copied and ripped off, it ain't the King James Bible. 3) One book I would want on a desert island: I must have 2! The Golden Bough by Sir James Frazer & The Riverside Shakespeare. 4) One book that made me laugh: Ain't Nobody's Business if You do by Peter McWilliams. It will make you laugh out loud, and keep in mind, he wrote this before Bush Jr slithered into the WH, and it was nominated for the H. L. Mencken Award. 5) One book you wish had been written: Hmm... how about this: Hey Morons! Don't piss away your 2000 vote on Nader. Doing so will just let Bush steal the election, be selected by the Sup Crt and lead us into a world of shit. 6) One book you wish had never had been written: Any of that inane drivel like those Harlequin Romance novels. 7) One book that made you cry: Only one? The Velveteen Rabbit, Charlotte's Web, Little Women, Where the Red Fern Grows, shall I go on? 8) One book you are currently reading: American Theocracy by the now very repentant former GOP strategist Kevin Philips... spoooky! 9) One book you have been meaning to read: Hostile Takeover by David Sirota. 10) Now tag 5 bloggers: For this, I am shamelessly stealing from my blogger friend Earl, who said: "I won't tag any bloggers to do this, but I invite all readers to give it a try."
Posted by Tina :: 1:25 AM :: 5 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------