Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving! Here's what I'm thankful for

Ignoring all of the shameful things our white early American ancestors have done to Native Americans... (ya know... like elbowing our way onto & into this continent by giving smallpox infected blankets to native Americans, and The Indian Removal Act, signed into law by Pres Andrew Jackson on May 28, 1830-- which paved the way for the reluctant—and often forcible—emigration of tens of 1000s of American Indians to the West and the complete cession of their land rights just to name only 2 repugnant and shameful acts)... Thanksgiving is still one of my favorite holidays. It is-- with the exception of the cooking hoopla, which I will be doing for my side of the family-- a straight foward fun day of feasting, talking, imbibing, relaxing, and reflecting upon what we should be thankful for. And it has been that kind of holiday since Abraham Lincoln declared it a national holiday in 1863... and I like that. So, in that "grateful" frame of mind, here are the things I am thankful for: Of course I am most thankful for my children, my husband, my family, my friends, our health and our humble finances. But I'm also pretty damn thankful THIS sex-crazy Religious Fright family is not my clan. I'm thankful I do not live in the South... and it's not just b/c of their votes electing God, gaybashers & guns. I'm thankful my children's names are not hung from tags on a Salvation Army Angel Tree, unlike the 2 kids we picked this season. I'm thankful that when visiting this local monastery to buy bread and really fabulous Wedding Soup (profits help out the nuns and charities) that I did NOT laugh outloud when Hubby leaned close behind me and whispered incredulously: "How can this soup be so freaking good? WTF do these ladies know about weddings?" I'm thankful that I do NOT have this kind of immoral job on my resume that forces me to "write a tell-all book" to purge my very tortured... err... bad Freudian slip... soul. I'm thankful that I don't have cancer, but what a shame that inhumane asshats like this have survived it. I'm thankful that I have HDnet thru my satellite provider, which allowed me to watch the new DePalma film "Redacted" last week before it opened... and unlike the wingnuts foaming at the mouth w/ venom over this film, I ACTUALLY watched it, and for the record O'Reilly, the scenes of our troops getting blown up and morally destroyed were just as horrific and disturbing to me as the scenes of the Iraqis getting blown away, morally destroyed and raped. I'm thankful I'm not married to THIS guy. I'm thankful that I'm not the faltering waaaay fast US dollar... or the barely breathing US economy. I'm thankful my mom, my sisters, my neices, my daughter, my BFF, and I do not live under the insane laws of Saudi Arabia. I'm thankful this Fox & Friends ass is not a lawyer, or cop, or even apparently, a US citizen w/ Constitutionally protected rights. I'm thankful I'm not elderly, living on Medicaid, and facing... eviction. I'm thankful that my loved ones are not currently serving in the military and/or had to face the extreme misfortune of getting injured under Emperor Emptyhead. And I'm incredibly thankful I don't have incurable incompetence, 9/11 Tourette's and 9/11 amnesia, or the need for the Jaws of Life to remove my willingly blind head from my bloodthirsty neo-con ass. Now, go unbutton your pants, consume your 5000 holiday feast calories, enjoy your friends & families... no matter how irritating they can be, raise a glass in joy, and have a very peaceful, thankful, and safe Thanksgiving.
Posted by Tina :: 5:30 PM :: 12 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------