Thursday, April 20, 2006

Pledge Virginity to Daddy at Purity Ball


Reverend Right's Certificate of Virginity is courtesy of Dada Dean.
While I think waiting to have sex until you are mature enough to handle all of the responsibilities & the emotional issues is absolutely key to having respect for yourself as one becomes a young adult, I can't for 1 second wrap my head around this twisted ceremony (via Digby): YOUNG GIRLS FROM S.D. CAME TO SIOUX FALLS FOR A SPRING BALL. THIS ONE IS CALLED "THE PURITY BALL" IT'S A YEARLY EVENT RUN BY Leslee Unruh's ABSTINENCE CLEARINGHOUSE.(This forced pregnancy zealot is "giving" women back their freedom by taking away their right to abortion & she's also the prime mover of the state's abstinence only education movement. Freedom is having no sex at all.) THE IDEA AT THESE PURITY BALLS IS THAT THESE YOUNG WOMEN (and we mean YOUNG. See pix of girls as young as age 7 here pledging their virginity to dear Daddy) COME W/ THEIR FATHERS. TO CELEBRATE THEIR SEXUAL PURITY. You have to see it to believe it. They are all dressed up like prom goers, the dads in tuxes and the daughters in evening gowns looking all grown up. They dance, they laugh, they giggle. And then dad and daughter stand up, holding each others hands, staring into each others' eyes and the girls make these vows as if in a wedding ceremony. As I watch it occurs to me that this is why they don't have an exception for rape and incest. It's one of the creepiest things I've ever seen. You will notice that there's no "mother-son" ceremony in which boys pledge to their mothers to stay pure until they give themselves as a gift to their wives." I waited until I was 18 to lose my virginity... to a guy I dated seriously for a looong time... but the thought of engaging in some kind of ceremony pledging my dad as my virginity's keeper is just sick. I asked Hubby what he thought about this as I wrote this post. He turned and looked at me w/ a look of shocked horror on his face: "WTF? That is disgusting. I want BabyGirl to keep her virginity for herself, not b/c of me and some whacked out ceremony. And if we're good enough parents, she will have already heard us tell her a million times how she should keep her virginity until she meets a guy worthy of her and that." Yes... I did so marry the right man. Besides, he hates tuxes.
Posted by Tina :: 12:52 AM :: 11 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------