Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Durbin Caves into GOP Smears & Apologizes

From Durbin's Website: "I sincerely regret if what I said causes anybody to misunderstand my true feelings. I'm sorry if anything that I said caused any offense or pain to those who have such bitter memories of the Holocaust, the greatest moral tragedy of our time. Nothing, nothing should ever be said to demean or diminish that moral tragedy. I'm also sorry if anything I said in any way cast a negative light on our fine men and women in the military. They are the best. I never, ever intended any disrespect for them. Abraham Lincoln said, ‘If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, 10,000 angels swearing I was right wouldn't make any difference." I'm pissed that Durbin felt that he HAD TO apologize. He apologized for telling the TRUTH. The Star Tribune backs this up by saying this: By caving in, Durbin did just what the orchestrated right-wing smear effort required to succeed: It made him the story rather than focusing further attention on the outrageous violations of international law and human rights being perpetrated in Guantanamo and elsewhere in the name of the American people. Again, the GOP ducks the truth.
Posted by Tina :: 12:07 AM :: 4 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------